History

Our History

 

Through the Decades

The 1940s

  • The original structure was a brick structure built in 1943.  It consisted of four classrooms, an auditorium with a stage, and a very small kitchen. Each classroom was heated by a coal stove and the restrooms were outside.
  • Mrs. Eugene Smith was the first principal. She, Mrs. Cornelia Line, Miss Leah Gray, and Mrs. Hazel Hickey were the teachers. The cafeteria was staffed by Mrs. Mike Murrell and Miss Cleo Potter and provided lunches for $0.15 per week. The first bus was a boarded-up truck.

The 1950s

  • During the 1950's more classrooms were added along with a larger cafeteria, a library, and restrooms.

The 1960s

  • A gym, office area, and additional classrooms were added.

The 1970s

  • A kindergarten area was added, and grades 6-8 moved to West View Middle School.

The 1980s

  • Grades K-2 moved to Alpha Primary School. 
    The original building,with its additions, served the community for 50 years, and the decision was made to build a new structure.

The 1990s

  • AI moved into the present facility in August, 1993.

The 2000s

  • Alpha Elementary School was renamed Alpha Intermediate School.
  • The Alpha Complex, which includes both Alpha Primary (K-2) and Alpha Intermediate (3-5) became Alpha School in the 2002-2003 school year.  One administrator and one assistant administrator serve the complex.

 

Alpha Primary School opened in January, 1978.  Prior to that, grades K-2 had been part of Alpha Elementary School.  Alpha Primary's first principal was Mrs. Letha Williams.  Others who served as principals were Mr. Billy Carroll (1986-1996) and Dr. Deborah Hayes (1996-2002).

In 2002, Alpha Primary became part of Alpha School.  The two buildings are served by one principal and one assistant principal.  Dr. Julia Price was principal, and Diana Gresham was the assistant principal.

Changes to the building have included the addition of walls in the classrooms and the library in the late 1980s.  In 2003, the classrooms underwent extensive renovation and a cafeteria was added.

Dr. Price and Mrs. Gresham retired at the end of the 2010-2011 school year.

Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, Mrs. Kimberly Dyke became principal and Mr. James Patrick became assistant principal.